Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thanksgiving

This year I have a lot to be thankful for. I suppose a lot of people are thinking that, too. I know there are thousands of transplant patients out there and I'm very close to joining their ranks. I haven't seen my cousin for nearly 20 years and yet she's going to give me a kidney. I saw her this week when I flew home for thanksgiving. I usually stay home with my husband and have a quiet day of cooking, eating and watching the movie Elf. That's our own tradition. This year, I thought it would be a good idea to fly home and see everyone before the big surgery. It was pretty nice. The best part is getting to see my cousin and meet her husband. We had a great time talking and getting to know one another again. She seems truly happy and ready for this surgery.

I should apologize for ranting so about the surgeon mix up. My transplant coordinator spoke with the head surgeon on Monday and I have the correct surgeon again. Thank goodness. My Nephrologist was adamant that I should have the doctor I originally chose -- she was quite firm about it. So we're back on track.

I don't have a lot to say. I'm just waiting these days. I have gained a few pounds. I am looking forward to getting back into great shape after the surgery. I was thinking of planning a bike ride across the country as a goal after the surgery, but that costs a lot of money and takes a lot of time off work. I'll be all out of vacation and sick leave after my recovery, so I found a different goal -- a sprint triathlon. I know a couple of people who are also interested and one who could help me train. I think this is a great goal.

I'm sure I'll have more to talk about after the surgery. I'll certainly plan to share the details with you.

No comments: