Saturday, November 17, 2007

Misled

I received an email message yesterday from my transplant coordinator. She wanted to let me know when my appointments are the week before my surgery. One of those appointments is with the surgeon. I have met my surgeon. Let's call him Dr. A. I med Dr. A back in May during my transplant evaluation. I'm sure I've already told you all about the evaluation, but to jog your memory, I met with the nephrologist, the neph's resident, the transplant coordinator (who was later fired and I was assigned a new coordinator), a social worker, a nutritionist, the financial/insurance person...and *MY* surgeon, Dr. A. I have attended informational workshops at the medical center featuring *MY* surgeon. I have researched his literature, his career and have asked other medical center staff/doctors for recommendations about him. All of this was positive and I confidently chose this medical center for my procedure.

The e-mail message I received yesterday indicated that I would be meeting with my surgeon...Dr. B. Who the fuck is Dr. B? When did Dr. B come into the picture? What kind of career has he had? Where was he educated? What has he published? Why didn't anyone mention this motherfucker before? Where the hell does this medical center get off introducing me to MY surgeon months ago and then pulling a bait and switch? I've been under the impression for months now that Dr. A would be my surgeon. Now, 3 weeks before the big day, I discover that this is not the case. I'm am very angry. I have my coordinator's cell phone number and called her Friday evening. She said she'd look into it and get back to me Monday. She assured me both surgeons are quite good and I don't have anything to worry about, but that's not the goddamn point, is it? I trusted them and they have now fucked it all up. How can I ever get back to the trusting point I was at previously? It's not as if I have a choice about whether I'll go there for the surgery now -- I'm too far along now -- I don't have time to be evaluated and approved at another hospital before I will require the surgery. Nice how well that worked out, isn't it? motherfucking, lying, pricks.

No comments: