Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Weight

My weight usually fluctuates 3-5 lbs during the month. Typically, I'm around 140 lbs. When I'm really working out a lot and carefully watching my diet, I can get down to 132. When I first found out about the transplant, I stopped going to the gym as much and was eating just everything. I got up to 144 lbs. I wasn't too worried. I got back into my routine and by the time I next went to the doctor, I had lost a few pounds (137.) My nephrologist doesn't want me to lose any weight. She didn't like that I was down 7 lbs at my last appointment. I have been trying to eat normally, but I just don't seem to have the appetite I used to have. The problem is that it's difficult to worry about it since I like being able to control my weight. I know that I shouldn't want to lose weight because my health could be at risk so I have been eating whatever I feel like eating. For example, I put whole cream in my coffee. I eat desserts. I eat french fries when I want...and I don't worry about portion size -- although that's a waste since I can't usually eat more than half a sandwich and half a bag of baked chips for lunch, for example. I *SAY* I'll eat whatever, but I get full quickly. Today my small lunch even made me sick, but it only lasted an hour or so. Anyhow, I weighed myself tonight at the gym and I'm down to 134 w/out trying -- and with eating whatever, desserts, etc. hmph

I can highly recommend whole cream for the coffee. It's amazing. I don't know how I ever went w/out it in the past. I nearly can't drink a cup w/out it. And don't give me half and half -- I want the whole, real deal. You put so little in the coffee, it's really not that many more calories and fat.

Here's the thing though, I know that after the transplant I'll need to give up nearly all of the sweets that I've been eating. I have also started drinking regular soda now and then just for the calories. I'll have to give that up too. The risk of diabetes is great after transplant because of the drugs I'll be on. I plan to give up refined sugar and stuff with a lot of refined white flour. For now, I'll snarf down all of the oatmeal scotchies I can handle. The count is 5 so far today. :-)

No comments: