Thursday, December 13, 2007

Surgery Day

I reported to the hospital on the day of the surgery at 7a.m. I didn't have to wait long before the admissions people took me in to sign paperwork and get my wrist band identifying me as a patient. A waited a few more minutes with my mother and husband. Maybe 30 minutes before they came to take me to pre-op. There were a lot of surgeries scheduled that morning at there was a back-log of patients in pre-op. So they took me into a short term hospital stay room -- like where outpatients recover. I got into a hospital gown and they put an IV in me. I waited in there for a really long time. Probably an hour or so. A good friend of mine who is an RN at that hospital, checked on the hold-up and discovered that my cousin went into surgery late and therefore, I wouldn't be going in on time either. While I was there, I met the anesthesiologist.

I was finally taken into the pre-op room when a bed opened up. Unfortunately, I had to be wheeled on a gurney through the fucking waiting room to get to pre-op. I had a gown and a shower cap type thing over my hair. It was embarrassing.

I must have waited in pre-op with my husband and friend for over an hour and a half. During that time, they put these squeezey things on my legs to keep my circulation going and prevent blood clots. I met the surgical resident, Dr. K. They rolled me into the operating room and gave me something to relax me. I remember the room being very bright, but there was no music. Shortly after I got there, they put oxygen on my and I remember feeling suffocated by it. It was uncomfortable. I don't know why they thought it was a good thing. Anyhow somebody tightened the mask and leaned over me, upside down, and said "we're going to put you to sleep now, Heather" and that's the last I remember until I woke up.

When I woke up around 5:45 p.m., I remember feeling a lot pain in my right arm. Someone was talking to me, but I don't know who. I was bleary eyed and felt it was difficult to speak. This is all typical when waking from anesthesia. I saw my surgeon across the room and called his name. He came over and stood next to me for a few minutes. Then I wanted my husband and started to cry. I don't remember a lot of pain. It seems like they gave me something right away. I was there with my husband for hours and hours. I was still in post-op at 11:30 p.m. because the hospital didn't have an open room for me. After 6 hours, the bussel and noise in post-op was getting overwhelming. My bed was right across from the phone and nurses station so it was really loud. They kept telling us I would have a room shortly, but I was there for hours and hours. My husband stayed with me, too.

Around midnight, they cleared a room in post-op for me because I was beginning to lose my mind with the ruckus. It was a tiny room, but at least it was private from the rest of the post-op. All of the nurses said that that since it's a trauma hospital, they can't always plan that well for a room to be available when it's needed. Emergencies and all, bla bla. We asked to see a supervisor. When she came by around midnight and told us that a room WAS available, but that there wasn't staff up there to deal with me right now. That after the 7 a.m. nursing shift change, I could be moved upstairs. Sometime around 8 a.m. we should get a room. We thought she was lying by the tone of her voice. Then her shift was over and she went home.

So we spent the night in post-op.

No comments: