Thursday, December 13, 2007

My Cousin's Surgery

I don't yet have all of the details, but I do know that because there were extra veins on her kidney, she had increased blood loss. She was in the operating room longer than planned. Also, they had to change the incision to a vertical rather than horizontal one. Someone did say that was an easier incision to heal from -- who knows. She was hobbling around same as me and experienced nausea and such. They had to really jostle stuff around on her insides to get the kidney out, too. That's hard on your body. Also, she had some previous laparoscopic surgery so the scar tissue caused problems -- I think it did, at least. I've been drugged up for a lot of the last few days so some of the details were lost in the dilaudid. lol.

I can't believe her kidney is inside me making urine right now. It's awesome. She's awesome.

3 comments:

B said...

yay!! I am so glad everything is progressing well for you! I thought about you and your cousin and everyday I checked to see if you wrote. I wish you well for all the years to come!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you are recovering well and the kidney is working well! I'm sorry your cousin had a bit of a difficult time. She is so wonderful to have given you such an amazing gift. I hope that you both heal quickly and that kidney failure becomes a distant memory! Be well!

Hugs, Marlene

Anonymous said...

best wishes for a speedy recovery for you and your cousin. I've been keeping you both in my thoughts...