Sunday, December 23, 2007

I'm a bitch

I have tried to let this go, but after an hour in bed unsuccessfully attempting sleep, I figured I'd get my rant out and be done with it. Before I do, I want to note that several individuals from my work have sent me very nice get well cards. I also want to note that I understand it's holiday time and people have a lot of things going on in their lives. Here's my rant:

My workplace has not sent me flowers or a card -- I'm talking about the group as a whole. The cards I mentioned before came from people in the department where my office resides. I had only worked near them for about one month prior to leaving for surgery. Previous to that I worked with 2 other departments quite closely -- for a 1 1/2 years. I would quite easily chalk this oversight up to the holidays and the fact that many of the people in those departments are big social dorks, but for one fact: Six months ago, another co-worker in one of those two departments was out for hip replacement surgery. While she was out, I chipped in to send her flowers and a card NOT ONCE, BUT TWICE. Fucking twice! While I was in the hospital, the head of one of those departments sent me an email message through the hospital staff. (They apparently have some way to received such messages.) A nurse printed the stupid thing out and delivered it to my room. Otherwise, nothing. And it's not just these 2 departments, I am faculty and the faculty chair didn't send me anything either. When I mentioned this to my mother, she was surprised. Isn't it normal that your workplace sends you at least a group card when you're out for surgery?

I have mixed feelings...I feel bad for complaining because they really don't HAVE to do anything. Also, I feel angry for being slighted. Then again, I tell myself not to take things personally -- and don't EXPECT anything. I mean, my expectations that they WOULD send a card or flowers is what is being let down right now and they aren't responsible for MY expectations. However, that doesn't mean I can easily think myself out of these feelings. And that's what's bothering me. If only they hadn't sent that other woman 2 FUCKING floral arrangements....TWO! It's just not right.

2 comments:

B said...

I work for a small company and we ALWAYS send a card and flowers when a person has a surgery or a baby. We even send something if their spouse or parents have a surgery. I would be a little upset if my company didn't send anything, just because I know they do for eveyone else.

HeatherT said...

FOLLOW-UP:

The following week -- 3 weeks after surgery -- I did receive 5 group cards from the different departments w/in my library. Better late than never.