Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Scheduling .. No Focus ...

At my latest check-up last week, my nephrologist told me it's about time to schedule my surgery. She recommended we schedule no more than 8 weeks from now. She said the transplant office would jump on it and get me scheduled quickly, but I still hadn't heard anything as of today - a week after my check-up. I would let it go, but I figure I need to begin planning for my family to fly out here. They'll need to make arrangements for vacation time and book flights. I suspect flights will be difficult to book around that time...late November/early December. I also worry that I won't be able to find a hotel room in a nice hotel near the hospital for my cousin's family.

I called the transplant center yesterday. Of course, my transplant coordinator wasn't in the office at 4:15. I guess she works the early shift. So I waited until 2:30 p.m. today. When I got her on the phone she said she was gonna call me...and that she was waiting on some financial paper to be confirmed before she scheduled my surgery. Which I think is complete bullshit because the insurance company already approved everything in order for me to get on the damn transplant list in the first place. I suspect she's making excuses for not calling me. She said she'd call me as soon as she heard back from the "financial guy." Whatever. I'm calling her again tomorrow.

It's been a difficult week. Part of me is relieved and part of me is terrified that it's actually happening - I'll have a kidney transplant in 6 weeks. I am super stressed at work and I sometimes feel as though I'm barely holding things together. I lose my temper with people and get upset about things that shouldn't bother me that much. I find it's difficult to focus and yet, I have no choice but to focus because of the software implementation I am coordinating. I need to get it into some semblance of functionality before I leave for surgery. I want people to know that there is something creating additional stress that may be interfering with my performance and behavior, but I also don't want to draw a lot of attention to myself.

I wish I was independently wealthy so I could take a long leave of absence starting right now. I don't want to deal with the career crap right now when all I can think about is getting it out of the way in order to focus on my health.

No comments: