Friday, January 26, 2007

Taking Care

I don't know how I escaped learning what I'll call "feminine stuff" while growing up. Maybe it's just that I was a bit of a tomboy. Mabye I just wasn't exposed to it. In any case, I haven't always taken great care of myself. By that I mean, haircuts, moisturizer, shaving/waxing, make-up... I played around w/ makeup as a kid, but I wasn't very good at it. It never seemed to look very natural to me, but I always wanted to be more feminine. Yet I didn't feel comfortable with my femininity through most of my 20s. Maybe this is something that all young women go through? Some women have mothers who teach them these things. I know because I see them in the spa and out shopping, but mine really didn't. Although she did take care of herself, and still does, things were simpler in Nebraska. Manicures weren't normally something women did or talked about. We didn't go to the mall or buy designer clothes. That was reserved for women who were rich. It's not that we didn't have the money and certain points because my Dad did quite well financially a lot of the time -- until he died. My mother was practical -- she was raising a family on one income. I love that about her.

It took be until I was 30 to start to get the hang of this "feminine stuff." I did reject a lot of that in my 20's for lots of reasons -- some related to my feminist ideals. I guess I thought waxing and make-up, etc. was a societal pressure meant to occupy women with the trivial -- to emphasize our aestetic value. I think this is an outdated idea though -- I now believe women can embrace femininity and still be seen as intellectuals and professionals. In any case, I feel so much better when I take time to care for myself. That's what I'm trying to soay. I'm still not big on make-up, but I do like to dress well. I get regular pedicures and facials...

Overall, my point is that it makes me feel good to care for myself. In the last few months I have created new habits. I take more time for myself in the morning. I put lotion on after my shower in the morning. I used to slap on lotion here and there when I was very dry. I can't tell you what a difference it makes to feel my own soft skin througout the day. It seems like a small thing, but taking care of yourself really can lift your spirits. I take the time to pet my cats and sit to drink a cup of coffee in the morning, too. I get monthly facials, good haircuts, leg waxing, regular pedicures and I have a clothing budget. Anyhow, I can't emphasize enough to all women that you should pamper yourself. Especially if you are not well or if you spend a lot of time taking care of the people in your life. Even if you do just ONE of these things, you'll feel better through the day. We're worth it.

No comments: