Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Exercise, Work...

I don't even open my work email. It's such a relief not to have to worry about any of that. I still don't want to go back. Maybe I'll miss it soon...I hope so because I don't want to go back on a negative note. I plan to go back WANTING to go back.

I've been knitting non-stop. The transplant coordinator says the Prograf I'm taking can make my mind really active and my body somewhat -- my hands shake -- so the knitting really keeps my mind busy. It could also be that I'm not used to the clearheadedness after being so mentally muddled prior to the surgery. I think it's both. Another side effect of this...call it restlessness...is trouble sleeping. I put up with it for weeks thinking it was because of my physical discomfort, but it just got worse and worse until it was taking me 1 1/2 - 2 hours to fall asleep and then I'd wake up very easily all night long. The doctor's office suggested benadryl, but that didn't help. Then they prescribed Ambien. That's been helpful, but I worry about becoming dependent on it since is can be habit forming. Still, I want to sleep so I called and asked for a refill today. Then I did some research on sleeping meds and found something online about other sleeping meds that may not be habit forming. Now I'm wondering why they gave me Ambien so quickly when they could have given me Lunesta. I guess I'll see what they prescribe as a replacement today.

I was given the approval to do cardio exercise when I saw the doctor last Thursday. I started on Saturday with a brisk 25 minute walk. Sunday we walked a lot because we went to Ikea. It wasn't exactly cardio, but it was a lot of walking. I walked again on Monday and went to the gym on Tuesday. My first cardio walk was difficult because my thigh wound was sore and pulling. The pulling and tightness are really uncomfortable. Not painful, but uncomfortable. I stopped mid-way through to stretch a bit and was able to finish up going slowly at first. I felt stronger on Monday and didn't even have to rest mid-way through. But yesterday was the best. I did 25 minutes on the eliptical machine with my heart rate around 150 the entire time. Prior to the surgery I had anemia and I wasn't able to get my heart rate up any higher than 140 without losing my breath. I'd shoot for 138 for 30-40 minutes. I was shocked that 6 weeks after major surgery I could do 25 minutes of cardio at such a heart rate level, but with no anemia, I guess it makes sense. I'm very thankful.

No comments: