Monday, January 14, 2008

5 weeks after surgery

Well, it's been 5 weeks now and the time has gone very quickly. At first, my days at home were slow and long, but I have grown accustomed to it and I have something of a routine that seems to make the days go fast...unfortunately. I'm still not ready to go back to work. I could probably go back part time, but I don't feel right about it yet. I don't miss it. I thought I would miss it. If I didn't have to, I wouldn't go back. I just don't care about that career right now. In fact, right now I dread going back. I don't care if I ever see that place again. What I'd really like to do is buy some land and start an organic ranch where I can have cows, goats and chickens. I could make organic milk products and sell free range, organic eggs. Why not? Reason #1: How would I afford my meds? According to my insurance company, my prograf and myfortic alone cost $1500 a month retail. Thankfully, I pay a hell of a lot less (more like $35.) Maybe being a librarian isn't so bad.

Most of the swelling in my abdomen and leg has dissipated. I'm not sure I mentioned that the abdominal scar begins about 2 inches into my pubic hair and runs diagonally up to my right hip. You can imagine the swelling...it has been quite unattractive. I finally caved in and bought high waisted "granny" panties since all of my bikini panties rubbed on my scar. It's nice for the swelling to finally be going away.

The doctor indicated I could begin doing aerobic exercise at 6 weeks. I'm looking forward to trying to jog a bit. I'm ready. I thought I would be off the prednisone by now, but they keep having to increase my prograf to try to get me to the "appropriate level." I'm supposed to get my blood work done twice weekly so they can adjust the prograf accordingly -- twice a week, but since the lab was closed for the holidays for 2 Mondays/Tuesdays in a row, I think I got off schedule. Two weeks ago, my levels were finally good and the surgeon took my prednisone down to 15 mg per day, but last Friday, they were not good any longer. They increased the prograf again. I only have to stay on the prednisone as long as the prograf levels are too low. I believe I'm beginning to see the effects of the prednisone -- eating a lot, gaining weight, a little puffiness and being unable to sleep. I finally asked for a sleeping pill -- that has been a life saver.

Overall though, things are really really good. I feel lucky and grateful every day. I owe a lot of phone calls though since I haven't felt like talking on the phone for weeks now. There are just so many people who have called. I feel like a heel for not having dealt with it sooner. I will try to call one person every day this week...and next...to catch up.

The graft wound on my thigh still hasn't healed. It seems that a lymph gland was cut and it has been draining and draining, making it difficult for the wound to heal. Finally, last week, it stopped draining long enough to heal over mostly, but not completely. There is a lump under the scar where the lymph fluid seems to be collecting. It's sore like a bruise, but no big deal. The doctor is "optimistic" that it will heal although he did indicate that in a worst case, they have to "go back in" to fix the gland. I hope that doesn't become necessary. In the meantime, I clean and change the bandage a couple times a day. I cover it when I shower. The tape has made my skin raw so the doctor gave me this stretchy, circular netting type stuff to hold the gauze pads in place without adhesive. That was a relief as it gave my poor skin a break.

I am walking around normally, but still feel pressure in the abdominal wound. In fact, I can feel individual stitches through my skin! I look forward to being able to exercise because that's what will help me feel most normal again. All this sitting around is making me lazy. I want to get back into shape. When I go for walks I get knots in my leg muscles I am so out of shape. That's most uncomfortable when I'm trying to get to sleep. I have to remember to do a lot of stretching when I start exercising again in order to prevent the knots.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was happy to see your update, and even happier to hear how well you are doing! I hope every day has you feeling better and better, and this kidney lasts for years and years and years and years! Take good care of yourself!

Sincerely,
Marlene