Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A New Pill & Tattoo

I'm sitting here on the couch, watching re-runs of MASH. you'd think it'd get old, but I can watch the same episodes over and over without a problem. That's probably because I have this need to multitask so I'm not really watching the episode. Ever since I got this laptop (perks of faculty status) I have been absolutely addicted to the computer. I piss around on it on and off all evening. Sometimes I wonder what life would be like again without a computer at home.

I filled a new prescription today. It's some kind of calcium supplement I'm supposed to take with every meal. My nephrologist said my phosphorus is a bit elevated. I have been trying to cut back on colas, cheese, nuts, etc. but she put me on the pill anyhow. Apparently, when you take this supp with a meal, it binds with the phosphorus in the meal and doesn't get absorbed into your bloodstream. Whatever. I should look up just exactly what the harm is when a person's phosphorus is elevated. How harmful could it be? I know I mentioned this cola thing before, but to tell you the truth, I haven't been doing a very good job keeping off the soda. The funny thing is, prior to her telling me to limit my cola intake, I had nearly given it up entirely -- you know, what with the caffeine restriction, but after I have been craving it all the time! Cola with peanut brittle sounds just perfect right now. Really.

Did I mention I got a tattoo. It's to commemorate my kidney transplant. No, I haven't had the transplant yet, but the transplant center says that I can't get any more tattoos after the transplant. It's considered "risky behavior." I watched my dad do "risky behaviors" until his transplant started to reject so I'm not about to repeat that mistake. I need to get all tatted up before the surgery. I'm thinking maybe some flowers on my forearm. My transplant tattoo is on the inside of my wrist, by the way. Here's a picture. It's my first tattoo, too. I have always thought about getting one, but didn't think there was anything I wanted to commit to for LIFE. The transplant is for life! In case you can't see from the resolution of this photo, there are 2 kidneys in the tattoo! The green band is the color for kidney disease/transplantation.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I already know so many people with tattoo regret and most of them are still in their mid-twenties...just wait till you pass 50 and you are going to feel like a real dumbass--especially since they be all faded and blury on your loose skin.

tattoo designs

Anonymous said...

Good for you with the tattoo.
I've been looking for a tattoo design to commemorate my kidney transplant as a way of thanking and remembering the unfortunate donor

Unknown said...

I have been considering getting a dotted line saying insert here! lol... I also have PKD and my dad is currently going through failure. They are going to start the work up for his transplant! I am so excited because it means he is going to be healthy again! Congrats on your tattoo! I have 5 of them about to get my 6th. Fortunately I am a few years away from transplant!

Anonymous said...

I like your tattoo. I'm looking for a design for my tattoo to celebrate my one year tranplant anniversary which is March 6th 2009and I haven't been able to find a design yet. But I'm still looking

Anonymous said...

I'm almost 50, getting my first tattoo in honor of the boy who got my kidney 9 months ago. not sure what to get but getting it tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Well, I really know about the "new pill". Seems like I have to get a new pill all the time. I don't have insurance right now so I'm not able to get on the transplant list right now.
I got my first tattoo when I was well. It reminds me of the life I used to have, but I want to build on that tattoo now that I am sick. I just haven't found the right shop to do it.
HeatherT, I love how you incorporated the kidneys in your tattoo.